The League of Women Voters of Wheaton and Cantigny Park have been presenting a Civics Awareness program since 2017. We’ve had over 700 attendees at our programs that covered a variety of topics such as Campaign Finance, ERA, Fake News, Immigration, and issues before the Supreme Court. They’ve been held at the Cantigny Park Visitors Center and the McCormick mansion. Videos are available for some of the presentations. Register using the Civic Awareness Calendar
Because of the corona virus pandemic, programs have been canceled. In the meantime, you can watch videos on current constitutional and civics issues by Steven D. Schwinn, Professor of Law, University of Illinois Chicago John Marshall Law School. You can also watch videos of previous Civic Awareness presentations using the links on this page.
- Alice Paul - Living History Portrayal. In the living history portrayal, actress and scholar Leslie Goddard Ph.D., portrays suffragist Alice Paul.
- Rebecca Sive -Author of "Vote Her In". Rebecca Sive is a women's rights advocate, political strategist and feminist community organizer (Rescheduled until Sept. 17th)
- The Honorable Ann Burke - Chief Justice of the Illinois Supreme Court discusses Issues facing the judicial system (Canceled because of COVID-19).
- Protecting Our Environment - Kay McKeen of SCARCE (by ZOOM).
- Major Issues before the Supreme Court - Professor Steve Schwinn, John Marshall Law School. (June 18 by ZOOM)
- What it is like being a Freshman Congressman. Sean Casten of the Sixth District discussed his experiences as anew congressman and issues before the Congress. Watch the video.
- Illinois Politics Today. Rick Pearson, Chief Political Reporter at Chicago Tribune.
- An Evening with DuPage County Board Members. Tim Elliot, Jim Zay and Mary FitzGerald Ozog. Watch the video.
- Civil Conversations. John Gable, CEO of AllSides and Parner, Living Room Conversations. Watch the video.
- Major Issues in the Supreme Court. Professor Steve Schwinn, John Marshall Law School. Watch the video.
- Impact of the 2020 Census on Illinois. Tina Hone, Chief Impact Officer at YWCA Metropolitan Chicago. Watch the video.
- Fair Maps - Why We Need Them? Mike Fortner, former state legislator. Watch the video.
- Current State of Foreign Affairs. Craig Kafura, the assistant director for public opinion and foreign policy at the Chicago Council on Global Affairs. Watch the video.
- Fair Tax, Funding Education and Pensions. Ralph Martire, Executive Director of the Center for Tax and Budget Accountability. Watch the video.
- Elections 101: How campaigns decide their voter outreach. Abby Witt, Partner at Arena Consulting.
- March Primary Elections and Issues Facing Illinois. Kerry Lester, a Chicago-based author and award-winning journalist, discussed the major issues facing our state, providing guidance on how to evaluate candidate positions before casting your ballot on March 6.
- Is the ERA dead? Does Gender Still Matter in Politics? Michelle Fadeley, president of the Illinois state chapter of the National Organization for Women, spoke about the status and future of the Equal Rights Amendment in Illinois.
- Impact of Environmental Policy on Our Community. Dale Bryson, who worked for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency for 34 years, discussed the growing importance and impact of environmental issues now facing voters.
- Major Issues before the Supreme Court. Professor Steve Schwinn presented the current issues before the Supreme Court and the implications. Schwinn is a frequent commenter on issues related to constitutional law and human rights. He is a co-founder and co-editor of the Constitutional Law Prof Blog and an occasional contributor to other blogs and publications. Watch the video.
- The Opioid Crisis and DuPage County. Mila Tsagalis and Chris R. Hoff of the DuPage County Heroin Task Force presented information on how the Opioid Crisis has affected our communities. Watch the video.
- Immigration: Untangling the Facts, History and Economics.Celina Villanueva, New Americans Democracy Project and Youth Engagement Manager, Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights.
- Challenges Facing Education in the 21st Century.Paul Vallas, former CEO of the Chicago Public Schools, discussed the issue of education. Watch the video. (for technical reasons, the first part of the presentation is missing.)
- Climate Change is Real. Tom Skilling, Meterologist WGN TV. Watch the video.
- The Importance and Implications of the Upcoming November Election. Dr. Phillip Hardy, Political Science Department Chair, Illinois Benedictine University. Video?
- Citizens Correcting Corruption. Donna Limper, Leadership Team, Represent Us DuPage County. View the Presentation (for Facebook users) and a pdf file of the Presentation (for non-Facebook users).
- Fighting Against Fake News: The Case for News Literacy. Peter Adams, News Literacy Project’s senior vice president for educational programs, explored the ways that news literacy can help reestablish trust while also helping consumers know what to believe. Watch the video.
- Elections and the System.Melissa Mouritsen, assistant professor of Political Science at College of DuPage, prepared the audience with the tools to run and win a local election and outlined the challenges to modern campaigns for offices such as school board and library districts. Watch the video.
- Money in Politics: How Much Is Too Much? Sarah Brune, the executive director of the Illinois Campaign for Political Reform, discussed practical tools for keeping up with the fast-paced world of political money in Illinois. Watch the video.