South San Mateo County
South San Mateo County
Atherton • East Palo Alto • Menlo Park • Portola Valley
Redwood City • Woodside
Be Informed • Be Active • Be Democracy in Action
The League of Women Voters encourages informed and active participation in government. We work to increase the understanding of major public policy issues and work to influence public policy through education and advocacy. We never support or oppose candidates or political parties.
Our League's Primary Community Efforts
|February 3, 2020
Mail-in Ballots sent
|March 3, 2020
|November 3, 2020
|What's on the March 3, 2020 Ballot?
Get the Facts Before You Vote
|Vote Now! Mail in Your Ballot or
Find Your Official Ballot Drop Off Box
The LWVSSMC Voter Outreach Team is gearing up for an energetic and engaging Election Year 2020. From now until the November 2020 our Team will be assisting community residents to:
Upcoming Voter Registration Events
If you, a family member, a relative, or a friend needs assistance with voter registration,
please stop by one of the following locations.
In Redwood City
Redwood City Main Library - 1044 Middlefield, Redwood City
- Saturday, February 8, 2020 --- 11:00 am - 1:00 pm
- Saturday, February 15, 2020 --- 11:00 am - 1:00 pm
Fair Oaks Community Center - 2600 Middlefield Road, Redwood City
- Thursday, February 6, 2020 --- 4:00 pm - 8:00 pm
- Thursday, February 13, 2020 --- 4:30 pm - 8:00 pm
Special Note: At 7:00 pm a Citizenship Class will be presented by the Immigration Institute of the Bay Area
- Thursday, February 20, 2020 --- 4:00 pm - 8:00 pm
- Saturday, February 22, 2020 --- 10:00 am - 2:30 pm
- Thursday, February 27, 2020 --- 4:00 pm - 8:00 pm
In Menlo Park
Hillview Middle School - 1100 Elder Ave., Menlo Park
- Sunday, February 9, 2020 --- 2:00 pm --- 5:30 pm
Special Note: From 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm there will be an Early Childhood Education Candidate Forum - CA District 13 Senate Campaign. More Details
In East Palo Alto
- Saturday, February 22, 2020 --- TBA
2020 Census Timeline
- March 12-20 -- Post card sent to each household with instructions on how to complete the 2020 Census on-line
- March 16 - April 3 -- Reminder letters & postcards are sent to each household to complete 2020 Census on-line or request a paper form
- April 1 - Census Day
- April 8 - 27 -- If household has not completed 2020 Census on-line, a paper form will be sent
- May 1 -- If household has not completed 2020 Census on-line or in paper form, an in-person
interview will occur
From our Climate Change Adaptation Committee
Adapting to Sea Level Rise: The Bay Area Starts New Projects
The Bay Area will start seeing communities build structures to help protect them from rising ocean levels.
Urgent Call for Volunteers!
Our League is looking for volunteers in IT Support, Audio Visual, and LWV 100th Anniversary planning. These are back-up /apprentice type positions where you would be learning and shadowing for a time. These positions do not have set time frames for service.
For more information, check out LWVSSMC Volunteer
LWV Wins Redistricting Litigation in Battleground States
Last week, a federal district court in Ohio ruled in favor of the League of Women Voters of Ohio, invalidating the 2011 redistricting maps. Read more about this win in the LWV press release - fair congressional district maps. The week prior, another federal district court ruled in favor of LWV Michigan by invalidating the congressional and state legislative redistricting plans in Michigan. Ultimately, both cases were egregious attempts to disenfranchise voters, but LWV is winning in court 5:1, and this is all due to the amazing work Leagues are doing across the country.
Voters Protected Against Illegal Voter Purge in Texas
The League of Women Voters of Texas and other civil rights groups reached a settlement with Texas state officials last month to end the discriminatory purging of the state’s voter rolls. The settled lawsuit was raised in opposition to a purge effort in January that was based on a flawed list of possible non-U.S. citizens. The purge included thousands of naturalized citizens who were eligible to vote. Read press release - Texas purge ended.